Position: VCIC Business Development Expert
Working duration: 12 months (Full time), renewable based on performance
Beginning time: April, 2017 (or as soon as possible)
Business places: Hanoi (travel to other provinces as required)
Vietnam’s Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) with the support of the World Bank (WB), the UK Department for International Development and the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has launched the Vietnam Climate Innovation Center Project (VCIC).The project seeks a Business Development Expert to be responsible for designing and implementing VCIC business development activities and companies such as support for product commercialization, market development, business networking.
The VCIC will support Vietnam’s economic development, job creation and industrial competitiveness through support to clean technology businesses and industries. Through provision of financing and non-financial services, the VCIC will support local entrepreneurs that develop innovative technologies and business models in a range of climate technology-related areas. The VCIC will also provide a platform to create national and international business-to-business linkages, enhance knowledge sharing and facilitate trade. The VCIC will become the focal point of innovative commercial development of profitable climate-related business in Vietnam and potentially South East Asia. As a member of Climate Innovation Center Network, the VCIC will leverage existing practices and experience to support clean technology ventures and industries (see more information on the infoDev Climate Technology Program at http://www.infodev.org/climate).
The project activities consist of three components:
• Component I. Establishment, operation of VCIC and policy feedback: administrative activities in establishing VCIC; supporting policy improvement and public-private partnership in the climate change innovation field; and establishing a fund for technology incubation and commercialization of technology in responding to climate change.
• Component II. Business incubation/climate innovation technology services, including sponsor for companies: support to clean tech start-up ideation (idea incubation and competition); business incubation services including training, mentorship, connectivity and boosting investment; and supporting commercialization. Additionally, it involves sponsoring select entrepreneurs and their ideas through grant competitions.
• Component III. E-portal, database and services to support business: creation of the VCIC e-portal; setting up database on technology, market opportunities, enterprises, climate change – related experts; and dissemination, exploration and efficient use of the database.
VCIC will operate under Vietnam Government’s regulations on management and use of ODA (Decree No. 16/2016/NĐ-CP and other related documents). The project governing body is the Ministry of Science and Technology. The project management unit is the National Agency for Technology Entrepreneurship and Commercialization Development (NATEC). Main related parties include: Ministry of Science and Technology, Ministry of Planning and Development, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, Ministry of Finance.
Services to be provided by the VCIC
• Entrepreneurship and Venture Acceleration, including advisory services; mentoring and business training; access to start-up facilities; and a women’s entrepreneurship program.
• Access to Finance, including proposal evaluation; proof of concept grants; access to seed funding; and access to commercial investors and banks.
• Market Growth and Access through the production of market studies and reports on climate technology markets and trends and facilitation of national and international linkages.
• Technology and Product Development, principally by facilitating access to technical services, design, prototyping and testing and a network of national and international experts.
• Policy & Regulatory Support through research and policy advocacy.
The Business Development Expert will design and implement activities to develop VCIC business and help targeted enterprises increase their business capacity under supervision and management of VCIC CEO, concurrently in collaboration with international business development and other experts.
• Develop and implement VCIC business development activities and services;
• Contribute todevelopment of VCIC business strategy;
• Working with companies for their strengthened business capacity, by conducting training, workshops, mentorship, etc;
• Build innovation networks for VCIC and strategic relations with experts, donors, investors, other incubators, etc. nationally and internationally;
• Prepare business development , business services and other reports to CEO;
• Other tasked assigned by CEO;
• Master’s degree in a relevant major (a MBA would be a plus);
• Experience in commercialization and/or business acceleration;
• 10 year working experience, in which 5 years implementing development/ investment projects and/ or SMEs programs;
• Experience in incubation/innovation is a plus;
• Experience working with the government’s ministries/line agencies would be a plus;
• Strong communication, presentation and interpersonal skills;
• Comfortable working with companies that operate in the climate technology space, at various levels of technological sophistication;
• Ability to utilize appropriate software packages and technologies such as Microsoft Office, Google Docs, Adobe Acrobat, as per the demands of the job;
• Ability and willingness to work under tight deadlines and on urgent tasks.
• The job will require on-site visits to VCIC clients located across Vietnam, on a regular basis.
• Proficient English and Vietnamese speaking and writing
Qualified candidates should submit their Cover Letter and Curriculum Vitae to: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 17.00 Hanoi time on Monday 10th April 2017. Please reference “VCIC Business Development Expert– (full name)” in the subject line. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for interviews.
Copyright 2017 with support from Web Mantan - Vietnam Climate Innovation Center. All Rights Reserved